= Sunday, Steph had been up all night; we arrived at church a half hour early. Some takeaways: Charity is the natural fruit of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. The Lord always wants a special place (mountains, temples) to give us instruction. Covenants we make in the temple bind us more tightly to the Savior; and we can serve as proxy for our ancestors as Jesus took our punishment as proxy for us. We know our worst days aren't the end of our story; we can find joy in Jesus Christ.
= We attended a 4 PM baptism. Then I copied key files in preparation for giving up the laptop.
= Monday, I had a fruitful day at work, and Montgomery County says I'm finally registered to vote. Steph had a good day also, and when she walked on break (almost a mile), she didn't need to turn on her neck fan. When leaving, we saw a robot mopper at work.
= I shipped my ailing laptop to HP. Quinton started moving in. Looking for one of Steph's scripture journals, we found other things we had lost.
= Tuesday, our Toastmasters club formally designated Steph as President and me as Sergeant-at-Arms [the master host] for July through next June. Steph finished arranging her craft room. Quinton brought us pizza.
= Wednesday at work, I continued to make progress summarizing and displaying data from AthenaOne.
= I bought a computer keyboard to use with an old laptop whose keyboard is compromised and whose disk space is reaching the limit. I'll use this combination until HP is done with repairs. A long-time friend, Kevin Lloyd, reached out; we'll correspond more frequently going forward.
= Thursday, a heart monitor was attached to Steph; she’ll wear it for two weeks without a break. I ordered new shoes. Steph cancelled boarding for our cat. We asked the Birmingham Young Single Adult conference to schedule a call with us and passed along a proposal to them from the Director of Temporal Affairs (DTA) for this area. Steph found Spotify lyrics synchronized with music and sang along with the artists for perhaps 45 minutes.
= Friday, we tried to sleep in. The AI meeting had been moved to yesterday, and some co-workers received specific assignments. Steph has been using Copilot to organize therapist information, their credentialing with various insurances, and interaction with specific insurance companies to have them agree to accept the work of specific therapists. I’ve used [Microsoft] Copilot and Google AI to learn and apply approaches I didn’t previously know to analyze, summarize, and display data in Excel. I can't iteratively run it to analyze data; it times out too quickly.
= Traffic was light; and we arrived early at the temple. We saw old friends from the Huntsville area (and from here).
= Saturday, we started our fast at Waffle House before 2:30 and prayed for increased religious freedom worldwide. I mailed a letter to a grandson and dropped off my notes from Sunday to a family I've visited with the missionaries. I fueled the minivan and topped off brake fluid.
= Our neighbors had great fireworks, and we watched them for a while. Steph finished recording at about midnight but still had edits to perform. I bade her good night at 0220.
We have been asked to petition for increased freedom of religious expression worldwide in our fast this month.
This card tacked to the board reminded us that the baptismal ordinance on the previous week had been performed in French.
It used to be that Vietnam Veterans (my era) gave us reminders like this that deterrence has its limits and military service is a sacrifice, not just a routine job.
But Google Lens found this matching image. (Then oddly, it insisted it was for University of Illinois instead of for University of Iowa; be careful with AI responses.)
(We only fill one side of that food bowl.)
was on a vehicle with this license tag and frame. The U.S.S. Hunley's role, first in a lonely part of Scotland, then Charleston, was to service and rearm our nuclear ballistic missile submarines. Google Lens found this reference - https://popularpatch.com/uss-hunley-as-31-patch/
Scott introduced Tammy Williams' speech
Ron called for individuals to respond to Table Topics (opinion-based questions), each for 1-2 minutes.
The yellow signal during Table Topics means you've spoken for one-and-half minutes. [The green signal meant you've reached the minimum time; the red signal will be shown at two minutes, giving you thirty seconds to wind down.]
Dorcas Opendi was in time for elections. The club had well over a quorum in attendance and accepted the slate provided by the nominating committee. That included Steph as President and me as Sergeant-at-Arms [host].
It's "Dedicated to the gallant war veterans from the State of Alabama whose magnificent valor was shown in all wars."
Walmart on Ann Street has painted over its regular signs and only has what appears to be a temporary sign. A sign in the parking lot speaks of preparations for a different shopping experience. I hope they don't turn this into a Walmart Neighborhood grocery, which tries to compete with Publix while retaining a limited non-food inventory.
We saw Quinton at the front curb. By the time we got in the house, he had brought his mattress in by himself.
Quinton pointed out that SaZa's tries to do everything; Pies and Pints has a focus on good pizza. We can say: *very* good pizza.
I put Dollar Tree sunglasses over my distance (driving) glasses. My eye doctor advised sunglasses to reduce glare; I use tan ones without polarization so I can see the viewfinder, which is polarized.
When Dan Gordon's wheelchair wore out, they gave him one suitable for an invalid. It has an extremely high back and is quite heavy. It's harder for him to move himself around in, and its harder for others to give him a ride. It's so tall that it can't just be flopped crossways in the SUV.
Portions of the "bypass" have no shoulder for pedestrians where the road crosses broad, deep ditches. The travel lane is the only way to cross.
Malo {Bad} Services LLC.
[There might be some slang involved, as when someone says "bad___" to mean powerful.]
The latch catches on the bar, but someone was able to bend the bar a bit and force the gate open. I had added a chain, but on the wrong side [flat forehead moment].
The vehicle gate is fixed now. The chain is on one side and the lock fastens it to the latch hardware on the other side.
then cannibalized cheap ramen packets for their flavor. Steph preferred shrimp flavor to chicken flavor.
This time, though, instead of working on the podcast, she had stumbled onto using Spotify to display lyrics synchronized with the original music and was singing along with the artist. :)
When heading to the temple at the top of Birmingham (Gardendale), this is the point past the Millbrook exit where traffic usually starts to clog when it moves from three lanes to two. Today, driving was a breeze.
is fainty written on a sign near the bottom of the cross.
This Confederate flag is maintained by Sons of Confederate Veterans. The sign is not currently legible.
[A man in this organization and a black Chief Master Sergeant founded a speaking club together and I saw that they remained friends until their deaths. People can be proud of their ancestors without carrying their prejudices forward.]
Seek the best from your past, leave the rest.
This is construction alley, but there's still no congestion today; perhaps travelers left yesterday, today being a holiday.
The road we're on is high enough for a few seconds that you can make out Vulcan, raised on the other side of the approaching mount.
The Birmingham temple this is one of the first "small" temples created by the church, but it has everything we need.
We arrived in under two hours via a route that often takes two-and-a-half or three hours; we left at 3:19.
[This is an anomaly.]
[This is an anomaly.]
(We weren't expected inside until 5:40.)
Steph Marcoed Shelley Patterson (and I ran the phone to where Shelley could see the entrance to the temple).
Her hair is still a crown. I remember when we walked out of this garden together after we were married.
The blur to the left of the radio tower is Vulcan, but getting a good photo from this side of the mountain at night while driving is too tough for me.
When we went to Taco Bell and they offered sodas with meals, we picked Starry (their version of Sprite) and then thought to add our flavor packets.
Note: when you add drink powder to a carbonated beverage, expect it to fizz all over your stuff. These photos were taken after we cleaned up most of the mess.
We usually start our monthly religious fast after eating at Waffle House (and then give more than what we would have spent on two big meals as an offering to help those in need).
This time, I went overboard and had a "firework" waffle. The candy didn't crackle, but its vanilla flavor was so good that I got almost halfway through my waffle before thinking to add syrup.
This is Steph's method of bumping pepper out of the pepper shaker evenly; she uses this method for salt as well.
This travel lane is explicitly shared by motorists and bicycles. Don't expect them to take the shoulder here; work around them.
Later, I came in to find Steph applying a light-blocking curtain to the window at the beginning of fireworks.
It's a sobering thought that we regularly re-enact with joy a real battle that had real cannon that provided real consequences.
"but our flag was still there"
(The author of these words couldn't cheer when he made this observation; he was being held on an enemy warship. But he wrote them, and we have them.)
(The author of these words couldn't cheer when he made this observation; he was being held on an enemy warship. But he wrote them, and we have them.)
No comments:
Post a Comment