Week of 20260607 - Visit from Drew; Planning for DC; Doctor for Lipoma; Zumba in a Dress; 17th Amendment Talk; Charting Real and Predicted Activity Together; Applying Hacksaw to Rebar

Week of 20260607 - Visit from Drew; Planning for DC; Doctor for Lipoma; Zumba in a Dress; 17th Amendment Talk; Charting Real and Predicted Activity Together; Applying Hacksaw to Rebar

= Sunday, Drew, Michelle's son, was visiting Montgomery and came to church with us even though he hadn't gotten off the bus until 0230 this morning. He and I had a good visit while we traveled and Steph got dressed. We think highly of him.
= Thoughts from testimonies: Our leaders are inspired, even when they aren't sure about their decisions. God knows each of us more thoroughly than you might think. How do I "remove my sandals" as Moses did to make *myself* a holy place? We receive blessings as we invite others to the restored gospel, study the scriptures, and attend church. You don’t have to create some grandiose invention to matter; you already matter to God.
= After dropping off Drew, we selected dates to go to the Washington DC area to visit with Mary-Lorraine, our oldest daughter, and her husband, Michael, during their special visit from Japan to relatives in that area. We'll see them near the end of their stay and then celebrate our wedding anniversary by sightseeing in DC.

= Monday after work, Steph saw a doctor who prescribed medicine for nerve pain and provided a referral to a doctor who can deal with the lipoma in her arm. After shopping a bit, we went to Zumba in the clothes we wore to work: a dress in Steph's case! Afterward, we picked up medication and finished shopping by dinnertime.

= Tuesday when Steph struggled to wake up, I told her I planned to talk at Toastmasters, and she rallied. I gave an impromptu speech on the loss of Senatorial accountability caused when the 17th amendment stopped the election of U.S. Senators by State legislatures (which had provided strong ties to State interests) and instead caused them to be elected by the entire State at large. Now that U.S. Senators have to appeal to the entire State, they are effectively accountable to no one except the donors whose help they need to campaign effectively. Federal overreach is a byproduct of appealing to the masses.
= Steph has agreed to be the next President of our Toastmasters Club (July-June); today I agreed to be Sergeant-At-Arms [the master host]. We will likely be elected in a couple of weeks.
= Once we got home, I offered a ride to Dan Gordon, and we talked while eating augmented snow cones from Fancy Nancy's and listening to jazz, some of which featured lyrics written by his mother, Isabel Molina.

= Wednesday, although Steph had been awake in the studio all night, she worked at work; I explored prediction models. At home, Steph was asleep by 4 and essentially stayed that way all night except for medication. I spent most of the evening tussling with a work puzzle on my own time. Afraid of waking Steph, who was sprawled across the bed, I spent the night on a recliner.

= Thursday, Steph awoke before noon but stayed in bed. At Michelle's request, I ordered, picked up, and delivered special sandals (for water and land use) to Drew; he'll use them at a trek sponsored by his Stake for 14-and-up.
= I spent most of the day investing personal time on that work puzzle and had a workable approach to predict future activity and assess the accuracy of that approach against past activity. Excel's FILTER() command made consolidating data from many rows into fewer rows easier and also allowed graph lines to stop when they hit "zero" instead of dropping to zero: especially useful for real values that are on the same chart as predictions that continue across the graph for additional weeks.

= Friday, during the AI meeting, Steph described arguing with an automated persona; we joked that we're going to need an AI Therapist on the staff. I described how I had been using formulas suggested by AI to which I had to add my own instrumentation to  show the difference between older real values and what would have been their predicted values.
= For Date Night, we drove to Prattville and saw “Masters of the Universe", primarily He-Man, followed by dinner at Teriyaki Madness, a restaurant with good food and service even though it was attached to a gas station quick stop; we would eat there again. Home, we watched "Tombstone", in part so I could hear this week's word of the day being delivered by Doc Holliday: "Reckoning". Two episodes of "The Closer" followed, and we went to bed at about midnight.

= Saturday afternoon, I bought fresh hacksaw blades and cut rebar in half to anchor our raised, self-watering planters (and to anchor our aluminum pipes that we had stored for use as trellises). I anchored an empty planter. Together, Steph and I anchored a planter that was already filled with dirt and plants (heavy). Rain interrupted the garden work after I cut some more rebar. I fed the journal and blog until evening. Past 10, Steph went to the studio to record. I went to bed at almost midnight.

Grandma Tracey's








We passed this leaving Grandma Tracey's. This part of Montgomery, Madison Park (on your right as you leave the bypass and head north on 231), has a history stretching back to the 1800s that included thriving businesses and schools. Image courtesy of https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=142146

We have seen that its residents band together to help each other, even now. 



This is the school building today. It morphed from an elementary school to a school for people with handicaps to an alternative school (where my late wife taught at one point) to a community center run by residents. The City is taking it on now as part of its Parks and Recreation system.




9385 Park Crossing, Montgomery, AL 36117

Sundays, 9 AM






Choir Practice







Our grandson Drew, Michelle's younger son












Duck with jeep












Steph has a 13.2 sticker: half marathon. Is this sticker mocking marathon runners?










Canned chicken; canned pulled pork












Honey Dijon Mustard












Garlic cloves, tomatoes, and canned green beans










Look closely; half of these are corn muffins..












split, spread with Miracle Whip (!), and topped with the meat, pickled onions..











sliced cheese, and banana peppers..












served with the vegetables and a pickled okra.












Don't Miss This (scripture discussion by David Butler and Grace Freeman)











..












..












I gave some of these "divers" you stretch and fling to Steph for Mothers Day. She parked this on on my laptop.










My relationship with the laptop is strained.












Here's the card catalog in its new home. The sign says: Don't let your faith dim in the storms of life.












Another diver












Who knew that the *washer* would have a filter?













Some cargo is not rigid.











There's no excuse for not brushing your teeth when you have a choice of Simpsons toothpaste in Pink Donut, Watermelon, and Blue Raspberry flavor. ;)











We had Zumba in a big room today; Melissa showed us what it looks like with the ceiling lights turned on.











Not exercise wear, but at least we showed up.













..













..













..













..












    
..













..













Yes, that's a picture that includes cucumbers (outside Publix grocery).









Cinnamon Toast Crunch - Root Beer Float

(I might have to try that.)










Walmart Radio works its magic.












..











The names for these sparkling water varieties by "Liquid Death" are a "scream": sCream Soda; Strawberry Terror; Severed Lime; Cherry Obituary; Rootbeer Wrath; Squeezed to Death.










Someone placed a barrier here last week that blocked handicapped access; the barrier has been removed.











Liz Burgess introduced the word of the day: Reckoning.

[That led to Steph and me watching "Tombstone" on date night, in part to hear that word in context.]






Kenny Robinson described his role for today: Ah Counter.

Beau Lore, in the background, was the Toastmaster of the Day (master of ceremonies).







Ken Hairston demonstrated the signals he'll use as our timer today.









Scott Burbank was General Evaluator.












I gave a speech without notes, without even a complete roadmap, on how the amendment (17th) that caused U.S. Senators to be elected by the entire State at large instead of by State legislatures broke one of the measures that worked against Federal overreach. I did a good job.







..












(Demonstrating how I started to break my self-watering planter because I didn't understand it - just as this amendment broke an important aspect of our republic)








..













..













..













..













..













..













..













Tammy Scott Williams provided Table Topics for us to respond to.










Beau Lore












Scott Burbank













a guest (who later joined)











Steph












..













..













..













Kenny Robinson













Ashley Beacom












Liz Burgess













After seeing where the club's equipment was kept (for my role as Sergeant-at-Arms), we arrived too late to have eaten at the Farmers Market Cafe, which closes at 2.










But we need window work done; perhaps we'll get a lead on that from this ad.










Yes, some cargo still moves by rail.













Some unusual architecture near Dan Gordon's house












..













..













..













..











..










Dan and I hung out in the shade of the back of Piggly Wiggly, in the same complex as the snow cone place (Fancy Nancy's).











Notice the second-floor door to the left of the big vent. Was large equipment moved in through that door?








Unusual color: probably special-order













Unusual construction












Some of Steph's notes













..













Finest 1













A wheelchair arrived; I had ordered it to make sightseeing in DC easier on Steph's knees; we had fun using one at Universal Studios years ago.











This mat replaces the one I had cut up some square of to block the library window.












Here's a view of our recliner and fold-back couch, opened up. I like the recliner better than the couch.











Big River. This looks like the entrance to a theme park. It's a car wash.










Sandals for water and land, for Drew.













Cacti at a community-maintained area across from Grandma Tracey's.









Tomatoes and canned chicken













added to this salad













Elsa is sometimes interested in crackers and chips; she mostly just licks them but sometimes eats a couple.











A red maple outside the courtyard of the building where we work












Cook-out shakes are always good.













Smartcap for a pickup's cargo bay apparently has side access, not just rear access.


Of  course, they could just buy a minivan :)







The windshield doesn't cover the opening completely












It's a three-wheeled vehicle; the driver wears a helmet to use it.










Cheesy but fun: See the Stars.













Explore the planets.

(chairs, tables, and the rest room are to the right, not shown)








Dinner at Teriyaki Madness













..













Chicken demonstrating martial arts










A homeowner has installed a security light at the corner of the property, next to a power pole.












Our meal













Tomatoes we bought at Costco were doing well, but something attacked the peppers; they didn't last.












Another mystery left by renters: a chain.













We have mirrors in storage from our Zumba studio years ago.












In our exercise room













Cutting rebar with a hacksaw. Cut it half way.












Then break the bar












Rebar in the ground runs up inside the legs of the planter to stabilize it.












..













This one, heavy with dirt, I moved to the bench in order to attach the legs.












I couldn't lift it and align all four legs with the rebar by myself; so, Steph took and end and we got it done. Behind the shed, we had stored aluminum bars to use as trellises. This one will eventually be anchored with rebar.









We have tomatoes!













Trumpet pasta with Alfredo sauce
























































































No comments:

Post a Comment